At the Fun Farm Pumpkin Patch our strawberry patch is open in the spring for picking. You can enjoy fresh strawberry slushies, donuts and strawberry kettle popcorn. You can also go pick your very own fresh strawberries to take home and make more fruity desserts or snacks!
There are tons of strawberry recipes that are super easy that you can make with your freshly picked strawberries. Not only that but they go great on pancakes, cake, pie, whipped cream, oatmeal, smoothies and many other things.
A very popular strawberry recipe is strawberry shortcake.
- Step 1: mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Step 2: preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 3: sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Step 4: remove the shortcake from the pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
- Step 5: spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
- Step 6: using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. This recipe can take up to one hour and ten minutes, but is totally worth it.
This is a great treat for a hot summer day with friends and family! Strawberries are almost 92% water yet one of the most flavorful fruits. Enjoy ripe, fresh, delicious strawberries from the Fun Farm each spring. Our patch is open for picking or buy pre-picked bundles. For more about our strawberry patch, click here.