Tips for apple picking with kids!
When planning your apple orchard trip with your kids, there are a few things you should consider.
- You should pick a time where it won’t be that busy. You could plan on getting up at an earlier time so you can get in before the crowd.
- It is also a good idea to make this apple orchard trip a learning experience for your children. During the week the farmer can give tours and education on the crops. You can also have you kids read books about apples or do apple based activities before you go.
- It is important that the children know to stay close to their parent or adult in charge so that they don’t get lost in all the apple trees.
- They should also be taught how to be gentle to the trees so that they can keep growing their fruit.
- When you get to the apple orchard it is important to show your kids what a ripe apple looks like. This will help teach them what apples they should pick and what apples are okay to eat. This will prevent any apples still growing to be picked.
- Just like any other outdoor activity you want to make sure you dress appropriately. You and your kids will be running all over the apple orchard so you want to be comfortable and dressed for whatever temperature it is that day.
- When it comes to picking out the apples you are going to want to eat when you get home you should select them carefully. You should teach your kids about what a bruised or rotten apple looks like. This is important so you don’t get home and end up having no good apples.
- The apples on the outside of the tree ripen first so tell your kids that they should start by picking those. We have over 30 types of apples to choose from.
- Be sure to bring your camera. Your kids will have such a fun day at the apple orchard and you are going to want to take pictures to remember it.
- Show your kiddos the finished product by checking out the barn gift shop for fresh apple sweets-we use apples from the orchard to make fresh caramel & candied apples, & apple cider & more.
Apple picking will be such a great experience for your kids and they will have so much fun picking them they will want to do it all day. Use these tips to have a stress free and educational trip to the apple orchard at the Fun Farm.